Friday 7 January 2011

FO Friday

Friday already! This has seemed like a really short week.

Just a quick one to show of my FO for the week - as I've mostly been working on the granny rectangle I don't have much to share today.

In traditional fashion, I have this week ignored entirely my list of crafting goals where knitting/crochet are concerned. I sat down on Monday thinking "I've got to finish those amigurumi" and then promptly picked up an old knitting project instead.

I was gifted a pair of "knit-your-own-scarf" sets by J's Mum a few years ago. One has been half-finished for a long while (so long, it is now officially hibernating), but the other I knitted up on my birthday back in May this year (following the pattern directly, 15 stitches cast on and then just a basic knit stitch). It looked like this:

Please forgive my terrible posing/hair/kitchen

Which was all very well and lovely, and it was nice and snuggly and would be perfect for wearing when going out somewhere one step up the posh scale from normal.

But it didn't go with anything. Nor did I have any occasions to wear it to. It sat in my cupboard gathering dust. So on Monday, after much deliberation, I took it out and I frogged it.

Then I cast on just 8 stitches, and knitted it back up again. Now it looks like this:


It's incredibly long! Enough to wrap around my neck at least three times. I wore it twice this week, and got lots of compliments from my colleagues. People always seem so surprised when they say "Oh, that's lovely, where did you get it" and I reply "I made it yesterday".

The only real downside of this scarf is that it's full of gaps which let the wind through, so it's far more suited to wearing when I am walking or travelling by car; it didn't really hold up well when cycling.

Hopefully next Friday I will have some finished amigurumi for you! Don't forget to head over to Tami's blog to see all the other lovely FOs posted today.

8 comments:

  1. Scarf looks awesome! I really wish I was creative, I tried knitting once but it was so long ago I have no idea if I could do it again. Although I did find my knitting needles, or I should rephrase that, Geezer found my knitting needles whilst destroying my room, so maybe I should give it a go

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job! I was thinking to myself "what a cute photo" when I saw your first FO, but I like the second one even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow thats great very brave frogging something x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your scarf looks almost like some kind of exotic fur stole-- very posh indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Deleted my comment due to atrocious spelling error. Here's the corrected version!)

    The first version was great but the narrower one is even better. The swirling colors in the yarn seem even more striking with the narrow scarf and it will be more versatile, too.

    Isn't it great being able to say, "I made it myself"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. The longer scarf looks much better. Very posh.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...