Sunday 23 January 2011

The trials and tribulations of a crafter

As any crafting pet owner will know, getting animal hair trapped in your knitting/crochet is par for the course. Luckily, as my cat is black, his hair shows up quite obviously against most of my projects, so I can pull it out as I go.

But animal hair isn't the only obstacle I face on a regular basis. A long while ago, when he first moved in with us, I bought Fidget a crocheted blanket to sleep on.


As you can see, it was rather popular.


As a result, Fidget is very fond of my crochet projects. Sometimes, he just tries to help.


Sometimes, he seems to feel I am ignoring him, so deliberately sets out to stop me crocheting.


Now I'm working on my granny rectangle, it's more of a problem than ever. The original blanket was just a big granny square. To Fidget, the new blanket is exactly the same, only even more appealing because it smells more like me than the other one did. It has reached a size now that I can't have it all piled up on my knee when I'm working on it, as I get too hot. So I push most of it to one side.

That's when Fidget invades.

Photobucket

He completely takes it over! And I just feel too cruel to throw him off, because as well as curling up on my project, he squashes himself right up against me and I do enjoy my cuddles!


Of course, it's one thing dealing with a cat who is keen on your crochet. Quite another is dealing with the OH when he gets bored of you sitting there crocheting. Then this happens.

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Maybe the OH needs more cuddles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't bother Tams when she crochets. Until she starts stacking crocheted material, loose wool, pattern books and the like on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do cross-stitch embroidery when I have time: years ago, Jess the real cat calmly leaned over, bit the needle and snapped it in half.She also used to swallow lengths of thread if I left them lying around.

    Minnow and the late Bandit used to help me with patchwork, which is why we are currently turning the end room into a teeny work room so I can spread it out in there rather than having a running battle with Min and the Krumps.

    Pickle, Rosa and Nicodemus have helped me to knit. Nicodemus helped me knit a block for the Knit-a-Poem a year or so ago, and Rosa and Pickle like to help me knit socks. I have given up intarsia knitting because Rosa enjoys it too much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...