Tuesday 8 March 2011

Startitis has struck.

I have, until now, been quite selective in my projects. I've tried to avoid starting things I wont finish; I've tried to only make things that will be useful, or fun, or gifted to other people.

I set myself a specific list of knitting/crochet related goals at the start of the year. I didn't give myself many, as I didn't appreciate then how much time I would dedicate to it over the next few months, or how quickly I would get through things.

Finish existing WIPs before starting anything new. Well, I mostly managed that one, the tiger and clownfish are finished, the granny rectangle is my ongoing WIP that I think will be worked on all year, so it doesn't matter that it's still unfinished.

Make gifts for friends expecting babies. This was a roaring success. All babies I was planning to make for got made something. Although I will have to do more soon, as there's another baby due to arrive soon into our social circle. Nothing makes you feel like you're getting all grown up than when all your friends start having babies.

Crochet my first item of clothing. Well, I chose the Avalon Top, and it's been a huge success. I am now massively more confident on the making of things that fit.

Do more complicated knitting is going to have to wait until I have something specific in mind. I expect it will be a lace shawl or scarf, I have over 40 shawl/scarf patterns in my Ravelry queue right now.

So, I've achieved my knitting/crochet goals in just two months. Argh! Guess I'll need some new ones then. And I really ought to start with another finish the WIPs before starting anything new. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen.

Still in progress:
Avalon top
Granny Rectangle
Novelty PomPom scarf
My first socks
My first gloves

Also started this week (more details to follow in the next WIP Wednesday instalment!) is a long motif-based cardigan.

And I have just taken delivery of supplies for two more projects!


This is the Patons 100% Cotton 4ply I've ordered to make my LRP friendly version of the Afternoon teatime gloves. This'll be my first project working with a cotton yarn. I've worked with linen based yarn before (the project bag) which was also Patons, so I am looking forward to it. Won't be waiting to start this one!


And here's the second exciting project about to be started. I'm not sure how long I can hold off starting this one either, although I ought to be sensible and work out where I'm going to store this WIP to protect it during progress, as I'm sure it will be quite delicate. I'm sure you're all clever folks, who can deduce from the crochet cotton and tiny hook that I will be trying out filet crochet for the first time. More on that when I finally start the project.

As if that wasn't enough, I am champing at the bit to get started on a number of other projects too! My Ravelry queue is fit to burst, but the patterns I'm most interested in are these:

Cthulhu beard hat for Jamie

Jane Austen shawl for me

A game board for Settlers of Catan using hexagon motifs

A hat for me

Could this be my first complicated lace knit?

I also have a large stash of pale yellow James C Brett Top Value DK that is crying out to be turned into something.

I think I need to take a step back and prioritise. But I can't help it! I'm so excited about all my projects. God knows when I'll have time to work on them all, though.

1 comment:

  1. LOL I can relate. I destroyed my book-reading goal for the year in just two months as well. Totally underestimated the time I guess. I'm also halfway to hitting my corchet goal of finishing 11 projects this year so I guess I underestimated that too. But, like you, I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly to do or what to expect. I'm actually working on my Ravelry queue to see if I can get a good look at what I really want to accomplish this year. Can't wait to see the rest of your work

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...