Friday 1 April 2011

FO Friday

I have Finished Objects! Actual, real, finished objects!


Look, a hat. With cables. This is the hat that distracted me from finishing the gloves at the weekend.

Pattern: Cable Hat by Sarah Arnold (direct link to pattern here)
Yarn: Hayfield Bonus Aran in purple heather (80% acrylic, 20% wool)
Hook: 5mm

This is the hat pattern that inspired the glove pattern I have used (also free). I have subsequently discovered I cannot find a suitable matching scarf pattern on Ravelry, so am designing one to go with it.

I followed her pattern almost to the letter, incorporating three repeats of the cable section to get it the right length for my head, and only doing 4 rounds of ribbing instead of the suggested 6. Any more, and I felt the band of ribbing would be too wide and look a bit odd.

It fits perfectly, and is wonderfully snug and warm. Sadly, I can only wear it with my hair down, as in the pic, as I look bloody ridiculous in hats when my hair is tied back.

The other thing I have finished this week is.... drumroll please.... my first pair of the fingerless lace gloves!


I finally got around to crocheting the buttons and button holes on!

Pattern: Afternoon Tea fingerless gloves by Dora Ohrenstein (direct link to pattern here)
Yarn: Patons UK Fairytale Dreamtime 4 ply (100% wool)
Hook: 3.5mm

I used a larger hook than specified, as the Patons 4ply seems quite thick compared to the other 4ply yarns I have. So these are quite roomy (I can pull them on and off without undoing the buttonholes, for example). I followed the "in-the-round" instructions, although I realised they need more modification than stated to work properly in the round, but I didn't do that on these ones. I corrected it for the second pair, which are still awaiting buttons.

The cuff is a little out of shape, so I may block the cuffs only when I've finished the other pair, as I can do them at the same time and it will be less of a hassle.

That's all I've managed this week (!) as Knitting & Crochet Blog Week has been a little time consuming! Not because I've had to work on my posts, but I've had so many blogs to read! I've added so many new blogs to my Google Reader this week, I can't wait to get to know everyone. I've acquired a few new followers as well!

Right, that's enough gratuitous use of exclamation marks for one paragraph... head on over to Tami's blog to check out what everyone else has managed to finish off this week. Or alternatively, head on over to Visions of Sugar Plums. Go crazy, visit both!

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Nice job on both! I look ridiculous in a hat with my hair up, too.

    Good to have you with us at Fibers on Friday....thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anastaciaknits1 April 2011 at 14:09

    Wow, I love the hat & the gloves, but definitely the hat! I'm not a big fan of cables, making them that is, but that hat is really pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cable hat turned out great. Think I would want it a bit longer to cover my ears. I get ear aches with cold weather. Might have to check out that pattern. Good luck with your scarf, I'm sure it will turn out great given how nice the hat turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hat looks amazing on you! I love it. Cable hats always look so professional to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great hat and gloves. Know what you mean about wearing with your hair up. Sadly, I do not have a "hat head" so I rarely wear them

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same problem with hats, I tend to look really ill unless you can see a decent amount of hair around the edges

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your hat! K & C Blog week has been eating up all my knitting time too. Seems kind of ironic...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on the hat! I see nothing at all wrong with the glove - it looks great, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo love the hat!! Would do great for snowboarding :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. To me cables = proper knitting, as most of the cardigans etc I had made for me by Gran (and her sister) had cables on. So I was very pleased to find you can replicate the effect with crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pattern error is neatly masked by the yarn in this pair, but was too obvious in the cotton pair, so I had to tweak to make them look right.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...