Sunday 10 April 2011

My never-ending blanket

I've been working on my Granny Rectangle blanket since Christmas Day. Over three months ago, and the damned thing still isn't finished. My main problem hasn't been a lack of willingness on my part, I like working on it because it's so simple. The bigger it gets, the nicer it is to snuggle up underneath it while I work on it. Unfortunately, I'm not the only one who thinks this!

He may be cute, but he's incredibly annoying!

Every time I get this project out now, the cat appears and settles in. He's got a knack for sitting on exactly the wrong part of it, so I can only work on it for maybe five more minutes or so before I get to the part underneath his furry backside. I got particularly frustrated with him yesterday (yes, can you believe it, all that lovely sunshine and warmth outside and I was curled up on the sofa working on my blanket!), as I was so close to finishing the final round, and he plonked himself down on the one tiny part that hadn't been finished.

See that? That's the final corner. Do you think he wanted to move?

See! He sat exactly on the part where the rounds join!
He's so cute though, I can't bring myself to forcibly remove him.


I just cuddled him until he got fed up of being disturbed; he moved further down the sofa and I was able to rescue my corner and get on with finishing the last round.

Please excuse the mess, I did a lot of shredding last weekend
and hadn't quite got round to hoovering up. I've done it now.
So it's gone from being big enough to cover the small two seater sofa, and now almost covers the somewhat larger three seater sofa. Definitely wide enough along the short edge, but I can't decide if it's long edges are long enough. Should have started with a longer chain in the middle, I reckon. As it is, if I want to extend it I'll need to do granny stripes on each end as I don't really want it to get any wider. But for now, I'll be happy to just weave in my ends and have it useable at last without a hook and a ball of yarn dangling off it!

I took it upstairs to lay out on the bed, so I could measure it. It's 55" x 72" as it stands. I think I'll have to test drive it on the sofa, to see if we all fit under/on it at the same time. It may need to be a bit longer to accommodate the cat curling up on it inbetween us and leaving us both enough blanket to be warm and snuggled underneath!

12 comments:

  1. xxxmckingbirdxx10 April 2011 at 20:36

    He is a cute cat. I think laying on the part of a project you are trying to work is a cat thing, like attacking the ball of yarn you are using instead of the one you sacrificed to the cat. Love the blanket

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blanket! The colors are so pretty together. Definitely looks big enough for snuggling under.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Witchyknits4ewe10 April 2011 at 23:36

    I love it! My dog keeps doing the same thing - wanting to waaayyyy close to me as I'm trying to finish my son's blanket! Pets are so funny and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking fabulous! I can certainly see why the cat likes it so much lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blanket is lovely. The colours are great. I wish I could crochet. I am starting to make a blanket of knitted squares and will have to join them altogether. At least yours will not need sewn up when finished and you can always add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our cat doesn't usually do typical cat things, like playing with yarn! He'll only attack it if he's getting tickled by it when I try to carry on crocheting after he's jumped on board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind joining together so much, but weaving in ends really annoys me. And there are so many ends on this blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the blanket! The colours are very retro while looking modern as well

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gingerschatz201011 April 2011 at 20:32

    Lovely blanket - I love the colours ... (BTW: I don't want to diss your cat, but he looks like he's planning to eat you. Be careful. )

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol! he'd got a bit fed up of my getting in his way by that point.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ha! any blanket I make the dog is all over it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emma Littlehales15 April 2011 at 16:25

    Wow, I wish I could make something that big! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...