Saturday 4 June 2011

E is for... Exercise

I know what you’re thinking. She’s gone mad! She doesn’t know the alphabet! E doesn’t come after C! But there is a method to my madness. As I am participating in the Day in the Life blog on Monday, I have swapped D and E around to make it fit. So forgive me my alphabetical lapse. The proper order will restore itself on Tuesday! On to E then...
I have an odd relationship with exercise. I enjoy doing it, but often struggle to find the enthusiasm to get started. Once I’m going, it’s great, but getting there in the first place...
At the moment, I’m focusing on running. I’ve done the Race for Life a couple of times, but haven’t actually managed to run the whole 5km in one go yet. Both times I trained for it using the Couch to 5km program, but didn’t make it through the entire nine week schedule! So a couple of weeks ago we started again. This time round, though, I have downloaded podcasts of the runs (I'd link to them, but can't remember where I got them from!), so I don’t have to be constantly checking my watch to see when I have to start and stop running. It’s so much easier with the podcasts! I do all my running in the park down the road – it’s a five minute walk away which means I can start my training as soon as I leave the house, as each session starts with a brisk five minute walking warm up.
This is where I run. Palmer Park
Image copyright Andrew Smith
In 2009 I also did the Aspire Channel Swim. 22 miles swum over 12 weeks. My swimming schedule was slightly interrupted halfway through, as my Gran died and I missed a few sessions due to being in Yorkshire, but I did manage to squeeze in a few extra sessions towards the end, and just about managed the 22 miles (I think I did it in 12 ½ weeks). I really enjoy swimming, but I was in the pool so often I got really fed up of it by the end. I constantly stank of chlorine, and my hair was like straw by the time I was done.
I’m quite lucky though, as my local pool is just around the corner from the house, five minute walk or so, and it’s easy to get to on my way home from work in the evenings, when there are adult only lane sessions. I did briefly try out getting up at stupid o’clock to swim in the morning lane sessions before work, but that was before I had a train commute; I don’t think I could do that now.
This is my local pool. It's old and Victorian and the changing
cubicles are along the edge! No naked showering here!
Of course, just running or just swimming isn’t enough; I had settled quite nicely into a couple of classes at the gym. Spinning on Monday evenings, and Pilates on Saturday mornings. I was enjoying both of them, until I was involved in a road accident a couple of months ago (I was on the bus, and a van drove into the side of us). I injured both my shouders, and was banned by my doctor from doing any exercise which involved putting any weight on my shoulders at all. Riding my bike to work was massively uncomfortable, but I had to do it to get to work. Spinning would have been worse, and Pilates was a complete no-go. My shoulders are alright now, but I still haven’t been back to either class. I just need a smidge more enthusiasm!

I do need to get back to a decent routine though, because I really feel my low level of general fitness when pursuing my more active hobbies. We climbed Snowdon last year, and I’d love to go back and do it again, but I really felt I should have been fitter. And of course, the more exercise I do, the more cake and chocolate I can eat without feeling too guilty about it!

1 comment:

  1. The couch to 5k is a great way to start running!  That's what I used and it helps so much.  Sorry to hear about the accident, hope you'll be back in full swing soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...