Sunday 11 September 2011

Year of Projects, 11th September


If you follow me on Twitter, you'll have seen that yesterday I finished the crocheting part of the Jane Austen Shawl.

It really is a lot more pink than this, honest.
I got the bulk of the remaining body rows done at roleplay night on Thursday. Yesterday was all about the edging, which was fine apart from the picots take forever! I also had some issues deciphering the placing of the stitches on the second edge, but worked it out eventually. I am now hoping that a severe blocking will deal with any issues that may have arisen from that.

Unfortunately, the floor space I would use to block it is currently filled with drying laundry, as we are still working through all our post-LRP event tidying up! So it isn't likely to get blocked for a week or so. I'll do a full FO post for it when it's done, so keep an eye out for that.

Of course, finishing one project from the list means I have to start a new one. I've got two knit projects on the go, but this was my only Year of Projects crochet WIP. Next on the list is the Cherry Wrap. I've got a huge pile of Wendy Merino DK in a gorgeous deep burgundy red for this one.

14 skeins. I just hope it's enough.
I did a few test swatches last night, because I really wasn't sure about the sizing. The pattern isn't exactly well written; there is a lot of information missing which would have been really helpful to know. Plus, as usually seems to be the case, the pattern sizes available do not include my size. So I've gone for the size 2 inches larger than I ought to have, but with a hook that doesn't quite get me gauge. So far, it looks like it will be ok!

Not quite one pattern repeat.
I've had to draw myself a chart because the instructions are not written particularly well. Also, the pattern is in UK terms, which added an extra level of confusion on top of the badly explained special stitches. I'm on top of it now though, and it's progressing nicely. It is looking like I have enough yarn though, as I estimate I'll need three skeins per panel (of which there are three) leaving me five skeins for the sleeves, so I should be fine.

Loving the pattern, loving the yarn. It's going to be incredibly warm and snuggly when I'm done.

19 comments:

  1. Gorgeous cherry colour! Fingers crossed that the larger size x smaller gauge = perfect fit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the Jane Austen shawl is very pretty I bet it will be stunning once it is blocked.  I love that cherry coloured wool, all ripe for autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Jane Austen shawl is looking really lovely, I can see the pink through the purple in the photo and can't wait to see how it looks once it is blocked.

    I really like the look of the Cherry wrap, and the wool is such a yummy colour....I am not adventurous enough for these things!

    Although I am curious as to what game you play on your roleplay night?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shawl, I love the colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am looking forward to watching your Cherry Wrap develop - the color looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your Jane Austen shawl and after a blocking will look amazing ! Well done on the finish. Can't wait to see more of your Cherry Wrap as the pattern and yarn look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shawl is beautiful.  Love the color even the one in the picture. 

    The color for your Cherry Wrap is great too.  Can't wait to see how it turns out once you decipher all the directions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really admire how you pick challenging big projects w/gusto!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love that yarn! The wrap is going to be sooo nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love both the finished one and the one you've just started, what an awesome color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alittlebitsheepish11 September 2011 at 21:45

    The yarn looks lovely, a gorgeous colour

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, I won't say this next week I swear. But WOW you make me wish I knew how to crochet. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The one your starting looks so nice and warm, that's the perfect colour for it too. I really should learn to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cherry wrap, and you've picked a great colour for it :) The shawl looks beautiful, can't wait to see it blocked and modelled though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane Austen looks amazing! Wonderful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sarah - Crafts From The Cwtch12 September 2011 at 17:25

    Hmmmm... I thought I'd already commented on this post but must have imagined it! I LOVE the colours of your shawl and am seriously drooling over that huge pile of scrummy merino - they make me think of a lovely glass of wine... *looks at clock in anticipation* 

    :) 

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cherry wrap looks cute, I'm exited to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many deep burgundy yarns this week---that cherry wrap pattern is divine!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the shawl, it looks gorgous! Please post a picture of it on! And I think the wrap will be lovely, it's an amazing colour

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...