Saturday 17 March 2012

Emergency gift

Crochet is great for emergency presents. On Wednesday, when we realised that we were actually going to be in Wales for Mothers Day, I decided we needed to bring more than a card, as we don't see each other that often. Crochet to the rescue!


I have a fairly large selection of colours in acrylic DK. I knew a small amigurumi would be the ideal quick project to get done, so I searched through the Ravelry database for a free pattern. After putting together a shortlist, I gave Jamie the final choice (after all, it is his mother I was making this for!) and he picked Caity Cat. While I love the colour scheme originally used in the pattern, I didn't have all the colours to hand. What I did have, was all seven colours of the rainbow.

We deliberated for a while over which shade of pink (of three) would be best used for the violet stripe, but I let Jamie make the final decision. It was really quick to make; I did all of the crocheting on Wednesday evening, and all the sewing together on Thursday.


I waited until this morning to take the photos, expecting to be able to go out into the garden to take cute photos in the sunshine. But it rained.


I made very few modifications, other than colour scheme. The main change was to crochet my green chains directly onto the body, rather than crocheting a chain then sewing it on. The leaves were sewn using the ends of the green yarn from the chain stitches.


One thing I loved about the pattern was the flower on the back. A cleverly placed chain of green hides all my wonky colour changes!


4 comments:

  1. Love your rainbow cat, great emergency gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is simply adorable! You are so right, little, colorful projects like this are perfect for gifts. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little bit sheepish17 March 2012 at 22:23

    Very cute, a great gift. I love the colour scheme, rainbows are so cheerful

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...