Thursday 26 April 2012

Seasonal knitting?



Back on track with Day 4 of Eskimimi's Knitting and Crochet Blog Week, and today's topic is all about seasonal knitting.

It will be a theme for the day for any British blogger taking part, in which we complain massively about the unseasonable weather we have been having for the last couple of years. This makes it pretty difficult to predict what we should be knitting, because you have no idea when you cast on what the weather is going to be like when the project is finished!

Like Chrissy and Nat, I'm starting to think that cardigans and wraps are the only way forward to get around this changeable weather. I started the Cherry Wrap in September last year, hoping to get it finished quickly and to have it as an extra layer for the office. As you saw yesterday, it still isn't finished! I don't really mind though, because air conditioning means you need layers in the office all year round.

I've only been knitting and crocheting for a couple of years, so I haven't yet settled into a proper seasonal cycle. I'm still at the point where I just knit or crochet things because I want to! I also have a bit of a scarf and glove obsession, so even in the middle of summer I will be casting on gloves. The top five items in my Ravelry queue are warm woolly gloves, a warm woolly hat, a cardigan and two shawls!

I don't think seasonal knitting really matters, if all you make is accessories though. I haven't really branched out too much into clothing yet; I'm still a little wary of things like getting it to fit, and choosing appropriate yarn for the project. I'm hoping Eleonora will cure me of this.


Check out other (probably more interesting) day 4 posts by searching for 3KCBWDAY4 in the search engine of your choice. Definitely come back tomorrow for day 5, I've got something awesome planned for the "something different" topic (provided I have the energy to finish preparing it today!).

4 comments:

  1. I think accessories are good warm weather knitting because you aren't sat under a pile of wool. I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to knit what I want too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother Nature is so tempermental yeah?  Or it could also be global warming?

    I think you hit upon the right strategy of wraps and cardis for UK weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think you ever need to settle into a routine if you don't want to--just keep knitting whatever you feel like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, layering is the only way to go with this weather! I thought it would be too warm to wear my jumper soon, but the way things are going I think I'll get a lot of wear out of it!

    Seamless, top down knits are perfect for getting the fit just right, as you can try on as you go ;) 

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...