Sunday 25 November 2012

Year of Projects Update 25th November



This sofa bed afghan yarn is never ending! My third project using these leftovers is finished, and I still have 1,500 yards left across the four colours. So far, I've used the brown, cream and black in my YoP projects, so I still have a lot of purple to use.


My latest project uses Charcoal and Peat. I thought the double loop stitches would eat into my stash, but I still have nearly half a ball left!

Pattern: Sheep Toy by Deb Richey (free from Caron International)
Yarn: Stylecraft Special Aran with Wool in Peat and Charcoal
Hook: 4mm

Caron list this as an "intermediate" pattern and I can see why. The double loop stitch is tricky at first and even though I got the hang of it, it really hurt my fingers and I was glad to be done with it when I got to the head and legs!


The fabric you get from the double loop is even more rigid than you normally get in an amigurumi. It helps to create a really nice shape for the body of this sheep, which meant I didn't need to over stuff it.


Sewing the parts together was difficult. I am not the biggest fan of attaching amigurumi parts; I will often adjust patterns so I can avoid it where possible. In this case, it was even more irritating because I was having to sew through the thick layer of loop stitches to get at the fabric. The legs were particularly annoying because they had to be straight and even. At first they were a little splayed, but I did some tightening up under the body with my loose ends and now they sit a little better. Well enough for him to stand up, at any rate!

I've named him after our National Anthem, as it's Autumn International time in the rugby world and we were in Cardiff yesterday for Wales v New Zealand.

10 comments:

  1. Love the little sheep, he's so cute! And the loop stitch was very worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So worth it! I love him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is adorable, but I am also not a fan of making amigurumi as cute as they are, because they are too fidgety and I don't find them enjoyable to do. I envy others that can make them though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This little guy is adorable! Well done Tink :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh he's cute, but ny own fingers were hurting as you described the loop stitch. I'm entirely on the same page with respect to sewing together the pieces. You've done well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sheep is adorable! Makes me want to learn crochet

    ReplyDelete
  7. he's adorable! I'm sorry your fingers hurt, though... I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun, lil' sheep. The double loops came out fantastic and look terrific upon him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, he/she is so cute! You did a beautiful job! I didn't know you lived "across the pond" from me. It's nice to get to know more about our "blogging/Ravelry" friends other than we all love to play with yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know I tried to leave about 3 comments on here from my iPad and none would post, so I'm back again from my laptop - obviously I'm coming back to tell you I LOVE THE SHEEP! Baaaaaaa! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...