Saturday 19 January 2013

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

When I went to bed on Thursday night, my head was filled with dire forecasts and weather warnings. Snow was coming. Imagine my disappointment when I looked out of the window in the morning to see this:


Not a single white flake on the ground! I felt cheated. It started to snow lightly while I waited for my lift to work, but it wasn't until after 9am that the snow started to fall in earnest. I left the office at about 1pm, and it took us an hour and a half to do the twenty minute journey back to the house.


This is what I saw when I got home. That's how much snow we had on Friday morning! Inches and inches of the stuff. Sadly, I still had work to do, so didn't get to go outside and enjoy it properly while it was still light.

These icicles were on the front bumper of our car

It snowed pretty much all day. This morning, thankfully, there hadn't been any more snowfall, so we are just dealing with everything that landed yesterday. There is no chance currently of us risking getting the car out of the cul-de-sac, although the main road itself is clear. There is just too much icy compacted snow on our road to risk it. Luckily, we have enough food and don't desperately need to go anywhere!

Fox tracks!

The back garden looks very pretty though. It's the first proper snow we've had in our new house, so it was great to wake up this morning to see fox tracks all over the lawn. I caught a glimpse of one of the foxes out the front this morning while I was in the kitchen making bread, but haven't seen them out the back today.

I put extra food out for the birds, though, so we've had a squirrel in the garden pretty much all day. At first, he was climbing up the bird feeder to get to the peanuts:


but eventually I felt sorry for him and put a large supply of peanuts and sunflower seeds on the lawn for him to collect. They are all gone now!

Mr Fidget is not a big fan of the snow. His usual route around the garden is impassable, and his usual drinking spots are all frozen over and covered in a thick layer of snow. He's been outside a few times, but the snow is so deep he can't walk through it comfortably.


He only ventured onto the lawn because I was already there, sorting out the squirrel's food. He kept to the fox tracks, and lasted all of about half a minute before deciding to go back inside!

I hope we don't get any more snow, and this all melts away before Monday morning. It's a sad state of affairs when you realise you've become so much an adult instead of a child, that snow fills you with dread and not excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...