Sunday 13 January 2013

Year of Projects update 13th January


I shared my finished Ishbel beret on Friday; today it is the turn of Momijigari!


Project: Sunshine Shawl
Pattern: Momijigari by Beth Kling
Yarn: Wollmeise Sockenwolle 80/20 Twin in Sonne WD
Needles: In a fit of uselessness, I don't appear to have recorded what size needle I used on Ravelry. I think they were 4mm.

I've had this Wollmeise in my stash for ages, over a year in fact. I bought the skein from a friend who was having a destash, having already fallen in love with the other skein I had previously bought on eBay. It needed the right pattern, as I wasn't sure how the colours would work once knitted up.


Then I found Momijigari. The samples are knit in a similar colourway to my Wollmeise, and I thought they would go together well.


I felt sure I'd made a good decision once I wound the skein and saw for the first time the length of the colour changes. Once I'd started knitting, I knew garter stitch was the right choice.


I flew through the main section, but hit a stumbling block when I realised I had to pick up and knit 195 stitches to start the border! Once the increases were done. I had nearly 400 stitches on my needles! The border was only 20 rows, but it took forever.


I was so pleased when I finished! It then sat in my basket for a week or so, before I finally decided to get the blocking boards out and start working through my pile of finished projects. This shawl was the obvious choice to be done first.


I cleared the dining table, and set up my alphabet blocks. I only just had enough to create the space needed for this shawl - it is a shade longer than my dining table which is five feet long. Two days later, and it was ready to unpin and weave in the ends.



I love the finished article. Such a warm, bright colour; perfect for cheering me up through the dull grey winter months ahead. The Wollmeise is a lovely yarn to wear around your neck too. I'm also really pleased I found the white balance setting on my camera (all thanks to the lovely Eskimimi and her photography tutorial) as it meant I could take decent photos of it despite it being late and dark.

11 comments:

  1. It is all kinds of awesomeness! Congrats on getting this done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHHHH this is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Minding My Own Stitches13 January 2013 at 14:12

    Wow, that's gorgeous. I just love Wollemeise. I was lucky enough to pick up a couple of skeins at a yarn shop in California on my vacation last year. It makes fabulous socks too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your shawl looks so gorgeous and I love the colour so bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!!!! I love the colors...just bought a skein of Girl on Fire with similar colors...

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! It is beautiful! Did you say those were 2 different yarns? If so, I would never guess it....unbelievable.....you are such a great knitter. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunshine in a shawl! Simply stunning!
    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 great f/o's these past weeks..fantastic. The link for the picture tutorial is so very helpful. I never pay attention to my pics..and 3 months to the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is gorgeous, it is definitely the right pattern for the yarn, they are perfect together.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...