Wednesday 21 August 2013

FO: Embroidered vest

Tomorrow I head off to Buckinghamshire for a weekend of prancing about in a field pretending to be somebody else. As I've mentioned before, I've been working on a new piece of kit for this event, an embroidered vest featuring the symbols of my current nation and the nation I am moving to in game:

This was a test on some fabric scraps
to see if the stencil worked ok

Last time I posted, I had just made a start on actually embroidering the design to the back of my vest. Well, with the event looming ever closer, I finally got round to finishing it last weekend.

The embroidery itself didn't take me all that long, in the end. I finished that about four weeks ago! What's taken the time has been figuring out how to sew the chiffon I bought to trim the arm holes and waist with. I don't have an overlocker, so had to come up with another way of preventing the cut edges from fraying. After several attempts to sew the edge after cutting, I decided to do it the other way around.


I drew the shape I needed with chalk, then zigzag stitched around what would be the raw edge, before trimming very close to the outside edge of the sewn border. This seems to have worked, and the finished edges don't look like they're about to start fraying any time soon.


I'm really pleased with how this has turned out. Relatively inexpensive too, as all I've had to buy is a metre of chiffon and a metre of black ribbon.


I'll try and get some pictures of me wearing it at the event, so you can see it with the rest of my kit.

2 comments:

  1. You are adorable. I'm mad jealous of your sewing skills. I can't sew for crap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are incredible, Tink! Did you embroider by hand or machine? This is a cool vest.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...