Friday 13 September 2013

More LARP tat

I don't know quite what it is about this hobby, but LARP provides so many opportunities to be creative! One of the main themes of my character's experiences over the last four years has been falling in love with people, only for them to die in incredibly harrowing circumstances. Before I went to Renewal, I had been idly considering making a locket containing a drawing of one of those characters, who had died almost two years previously.

This is us three years ago.
Copyright Iain Sewell

I didn't get a chance to do it before the event, as for once there weren't any decent lockets on sale in Claire's Accessories! It's usually such a handy place for LARP suitable jewellery tat. So I went to the event without my locket, and figured I'd sort it out when I got back.

What I didn't realise was that at some point during the event, the other characters I was extremely fond of would also end up dying! (Seriously, it appears to be a really bad thing for you to have my character like you. It's like an accelerated death sentence. I think I might have to become a nun or something to stop it happening again!). So when I got home, after I'd recovered from the event, I decided to rethink my locket idea. I found one on eBay that could hold four pictures, and set about finding a decent IC head shot of all four of the friends I'd lost.

I used Picasa to edit the photos to make them look like pencil drawings, and mucked about with the photo printing settings in Microsoft Picture Viewer to print them as small as I could. Ten minutes carefully cutting them out and sticking them into the locket (protected with that fab stickyback see through plastic stuff you can buy) and I have a gorgeous piece of kit that I cannot wait to wear to the next event (if only for the lovely roleplay it will generate when someone asks to see what is inside).


I am so pleased with how this has turned out. And it only cost me a fiver!

2 comments:

  1. I admire your openness and dedication to LARP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire's is a weird place...the things you can find sometimes. I remember when I was a kid, I used to get all my jewelry and hair scrunchies from there (hair scrunchies were the "thing" when I was a child in the 80s).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...